HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE
Human growth hormone: up close profile
Human growth hormone is a small protein produced by the pituitary gland (a pea- sized ductless gland present at the base of the brain) which is secreted into the blood. It is a kind of mitogen and is specific only to certain kind of cells in the body. Its secretion begins in middle- age but as the time goes by, pituitary gland slows down the process of its secretion. This has further led to the development and use of the artificial alternative of the hormone to keep its effects intact in the body. It is commercially sold under the brand name of Humatrope. The levels of natural Human growth hormone are highest in the body at the time of puberty and gradually drop down with age. It is considered to be one of the most effective and efficient supplements available in the market these days. Also, it is the highest researched and the most raved about supplement in the world now. The use of human growth hormone has been banned by the International Olympics Organisation and the National Collegiate Athletic Association for use by athletes and sports persons due to its anabolic nature. It is primarily known for its growth- promoting and lactogenic activities. Human growth hormone is an active ingredient in a wide variety of drugs these days.
Why do you need human growth hormone?
There must be some reason behind the extensive popularity of the synthetic human growth hormone. The effectiveness of this hormone can be understood from the fact that if this hormone continued to be secreted without any gradual decrease in its levels, human age would have been 140 to 200 years on an average. Owing to a huge and vast variety of its benefits, human growth hormone is immensely popular amongst masses.
Here is a list of the benefits you may enjoy while on this supplement:
- Bone density: Human growth hormone is known for its ability to increase bone density in the body and helps build stronger muscles.
- Muscle repair: It boosts the process of muscle synthesis in the body, which promotes and increases the rate of muscle repair and recovery in the body.
- Heart and kidneys: It improves and boosts the functioning of heart and kidneys.
- Improves sleeping: It improves the sleeping patterns of the body.
- Metabolism: Human growth hormone plays a vital role in regulating the metabolic activities of the body, which further promotes the growth of the body.
- Improves protein synthesis: Human growth hormone has some brilliant abilities to improve protein synthesis in the body, which is why it is immensely popular amongst body- builders (although its consumption by them is illegal).
- It promotes lipolysis and plays an important role in homeostasis.
- Liver: It reduces the uptake of glucose by liver.
- IGF- 1: It boosts the functioning of IGF- 1.
- Milk production: It increases the milk producing efficiency of cows.
- Aging: It slows down the process of aging in the body. Due to these anti- aging properties, it is immensely popular amongst masses.
- Improves cellular repair: Human growth hormone can fasten the process of cellular repair by multiple folds (as high as ten times), since, repair is the key to growth. This hormone has remarkable effects in improving the growth rate (which is why it is immensely popular in sports persons and athletes).
Side- effects and other risks
There are numerous risks of synthetic human growth hormone, which is why it is banned by the Food and Drug Authority.
Here is a list of the side- effects, you may face while consuming the artificial alternative:
- Joints pain: Pain in joints, nerves and muscles.
- Edema: It can lead to Edema (swelling in the body tissues due to fluid).
- Effects on skin: Skin disorders like numbness and tingling of the skin.
- Effect on Cholesterol levels: It increases the levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and decreases the levels of HDL (the good cholesterol). If you already have mismanaged cholesterol levels, try avoiding this drug. So, in case you are on a dose of this drug, keep a check on your cholesterol levels.
- High blood sugars: It can increase the blood sugar levels in the body. Thus, if you are diabetic, do not take this supplement or else you blood sugar levels may shoot high.
- Carpel tunnel syndrome: It may also cause carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Reactions: In some rare cases, adverse reactions at the site of injection may occur.
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma: It may prove to be a risk factor for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Cancer: Artificial human growth hormone may invoke the risks of brain tumour, colon cancer or prostate cancer.
- High blood pressure: High blood pressure is another side- effect of this supplement. Thus, get your blood pressure timely checked while on a dose of this supplement.
- Gynecomastia: Artificial human growth hormone may pose a risk of gynecomastia in males.
- Heart risks: The artificial supplement may pose a threat to the heart which can make it weak.
Stimulating without supplement
Of course, there are ways to stimulate the natural production of human growth hormone in the body without the consumption of its artificial alternatives (and thus, without any of the side- effects mentioned above).
Some of these ways are:
- Workout: Workout is the safest option that can be opted to stimulate the growth of this hormone naturally. Without inducing catabolic state, the levels of human growth hormone can be boosted through workout.
- Rest: Your body needs the required rest for efficient production of any hormone, and so is the situation with human growth hormone. Give your body proper rest that is required according to your body (depending upon the strength of the body and lifestyle of an individual).
- Nutrition: Nutrition is the key to the efficient growth of the body. For apt production of this hormone, many nutrients including Arginine, Ornithine, Glutamine, OKG and Lysine is necessary