Anavar (oxandrolone) is a mild Steroid with low to zero side effects, for this reason it is a popular choice amongst beginners. First produced in the early 60’s by Phizer (originally known as Searle), Anavar was used to help with building and maintain less mass for people suffering from illnesses which cause catabolic effects on the body, fight infections, trauma recovery and for people suffering from Osteoporosis. Phizer (known as Searle back then) stopped producing Anavar in 1989 mainly due to the fact that athletes and bodybuilders had started abusing this substance.
Anavar is one of the most expensive steroids available today, and due to it being so mild a higher dosage is usually required more male athletes which can be very costly. Before underground labs started producing Anavar and the only option was to buy pharmaceutical grade you could have expected to pay a few grand for a decent cycle. Nowadays although still expensive when compared to steroids such as Dianabol or Winstrol you can do a cycle for under a R1000.
A Deeper Look into Anavar
Anavar is an oral steroid with a methyl group attached to the 17th carbon, this allows it to to survive its pass through the liver without being broken down, this also makes Anavar toxic to the liver and is the reason why it’s never recommended to use this steroid for longer than 6 weeks at a time or at high dosages.
Anavar is a derivative of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) which causes it to be highly Anabolic and only mildly Androgenic, this means Anavar is good for building strength but not muscle mass, it also means Anavar is low in side effects. Steroids that are highly Androgenic such as Dianabol or Testosterone cause more side effects. This is an advantage for athletes such as powerlifters or sprinters who are looking to increase their performance without weight gain. A powerlifter who lifts in a certain weight category would want to get as strong as possible without moving up a weight class for obvious reasons.
Due to its low androgenic properties it’s also the most popular steroid choice for females as side effects such as hair growth are of much lesser risk. Females generally take a low dosage of 5mg daily and see many benefits such as strength gains and lean muscle gains.
For males a dosage of around 50mg a day is recommended, higher dosages than this are also often used to help increase lean muscle mass and strength. For males who dont mind injections Anavar would usually be stacked with a fast acting Testosterone such as Propionate and another cutting steroid such as Trenbolone or Equipoise.
Positive Effects of Anavar
Even though it’s a mild steroid, Anavar still has great effects on the human physique.
- Muscle tissue: Although small, the lean muscle mass which can be achieved from Anavar is still enough for people to notice and obviously more than can be gained naturally.
- Muscle preservation: One of Anavar’s greatest properties is its ability to maintain lean muscle mass while on a low calorie diet.
- Stacking benefits: Anavar makes a great addition to steroids such as Trenbolone and Testosterone Propionate to form a good cutting cycle.
- The best steroid for females: As mentioned above, due to its low androgenic properties, this steroid is the number 1 choice for females.
Although mild and low in side effects, more sensitive users or users taking large dosages can still be at risk of certain side effects.
- Prolonged use can cause liver damage.
- Suppression of natural Testosterone levels.
- Insomnia and headaches.
- Nausea, loss of appetite and decrease in sex drive, although females usually find that Anavar causes a noticeable increase in libido.
- Acne and oily skin. This side effect is very rare and chances of getting acne while on Anavar is small.
- Anxiety, depression, mood swings.
- High blood pressure when used in large dosages.
- As with other steroids, anavar can have an affect cholesterol levels. It can increases the LDL cholesterol levels (the bad cholesterol) and decreases the level of HDL cholesterol (the good one).
- It can cause virilization problems in females, which again, depends on the amount of drug consumed. This is why females take a low dosage and even then this side effect is still possible.